Age at time of Dissection: 35
Type of Dissection: Both Ascending and Descending
Date of Aortic Dissection: 30 June 2013
Tell Us Your Story:

It was a normal routine Sunday till 9 pm. I had just finished my dinner and about get up from my table when the pain started in my back . The pain was located between the scapula.It soon started increasing and a sensation of something tearing down was felt.Since I am a qualified Homeopathic practioneer and already lost my elder brother to this disease i.e. aortic dissection in 2002 at the age of 25. It took me just few minutes to realize that it is dissection.

I told my parents that this pain may be due to dissection. for both of them it was once again the same old time of mental trauma which they had earlier gone through when my brother died.Our neighbors are really very nice they took me GMSH SECTOR 16 Chandigarh. There I told the likely cause of pain along with medical history. ECG was done, Sublingual medicine was to minimize the chances of cardiac arrest along with 2-3 injections for pain killer.In the meantime I had vomited 4-5 times .

I was sweating profusely along with severe pain and tossing about to get relief. The doctors then referred me to PGIMER Chandigarh for furthur treatment.The doctors at PGI emergency went for CT ANGIO which confirmed the dissection.It was type A and B dissection and was obstructing the coronary artery.I was at higher risk of getting a cardiac arrest due to blockage of the artery.

I then called My father’s cardio thoracic surgeon Dr RANA SANDIP SINGH at his place.It was already 7 in morning the next day 1/07/13. He asked me what is wrong , Is my dad is alright as my father had been operated upon for aortic aneurysm at the sinus as well as at ascending aorta. I told him about the whole episode, he immediately asked his subordinates to make arrangements to shift me to CCu and prepare me for surgery.

He was there by my side before i reached CCU He told my parents that I will be undergoing a massive surgery and this one is going to be a complicated one and there are bleak chances that she will survive.I still remember the time it was 11 am and I was shifted to operation theater.

It took more than 12 hours to complete the surgery. My mom told me later after my recovery that it was 1 a.m. when the told her that surgery is over and she will be better and out of CCU after few days. I stayed at the hospital for 40 days. I had few complications post surgery like left lung effusion was not draining, developed hallucinations due anesthesia. MY life have changed since then.