Name: Rosalie Wetherell
Age at time of Dissection: 49
Type of Dissection: Ascending
Date of Aortic Dissection: 2 February 2009
Tell Us Your Story:

Hi, I’m Rosalie, AKA, Roe. I’m a Stafford type B ascending survivor. My dissection goes back a whooping 7 and a 1/2 years. It happened on Super bowl Sunday. I had spent the day alone because I had felt to lousy to go to a party with my husband. I was crazy restless and had, had extreme gas building up under my rib cage for the past 6 days. I had been throwing up every thing I tried to eat or drink. That night I finally fell asleep on the couch when an insane tearing woke me up. I knew some thing epic had just happened.

To shorten my story, 3 days later was when a young Dr. had the where with all to order a CT scan. and saw the very small part of a tear. He ordered a second scan on my chest and found the tear went up another 58 cm. They found room for me in an ICU unit in a hospital 30 miles away from my very small home town.

I don’t remember a whole lot about the ride over. I remember doctors swarming around me. Being rolled up and down hallways, in and out of elevators. The sound of nurses telling me to be still. I was in and out of my senses for what seemed a very long time.

Two days later I was being filled in on my situation. I had been admitted with a blood pressure of 260/190. and a heart rate of 136 and climbing. My prognosis was grim at best Here is where my story gets interesting. Three years earlier on Nov.2 cnd of 2006 my dad had been life flight to the very same hospital with darn near the exact same condition. My father was 83 years old when he suffered his AD. His dissection was located at his aortic arch. It was a complete blow out. The arch was actually severed in 3 pieces. He survived this impossible condition for 11 days.

I found out via an Aunt at my dad’s funeral that 1 of his brothers died during surgery at an attempt to fix an AD in 1996, my uncle was 83.

My team of doctors decided against surgery for my case. I was in ICU for 12 days and sent home with a sack of blood pressure medication. At the time of my release my blood pressure was at 138/127, my heart rate was 72, and I was some thing of an oddity. The nurses aid who was wheeling out to checkout area made this very odd statement, “I’ve never checked any one out of here before, I usually take them to the basement.”

On that note, here I am 7 and a 1/2 years later. I’m taking care of myself by staying on my medication and living an incredibly laid back life style. I have to say this one thing. (maybe this is why after all these years I’m reaching out to people who know exactly what it’s like to live with condition.) I’m not sure where or when this amazing turn of events will take me, but I know this for sure, my dissection changed my life for the best. I’ve been reunited with Christ, my family, met some brave,courageous people and found that my own life has meaning and boundless forward motion. I truly believe a positive out look is more than half the battle. I thank you for all the information you have provided. There was a lot of new things I have at my disposal if I decide to look into some different treatment options.

Stay alert and be ever on the look out. God bless you, Rosalie M. Wetherell.