Cynthia Lin-68

Name: Cynthia Lin
Age at time of Dissection: 68
Type of Dissection: Both Ascending and Descending
Date of Aortic Dissection: 14 January 2011
Tell Us Your Story:

I’m not sure of the type of dissection I have but I’ll find out. It does go down through the entire aorta.

The afternoon of January 14, 2011 I got a sudden, tight flash sensation in my shoulders and neck. I knew instinctively that it was very bad and, driven by terror, I called EMS.

By the time EMS arrived I had lost all use of my right leg and I felt sure it must be a stroke. I was slightly encouraged by the fact that as we approached Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI feelings had returned to my leg but it was fools gold. By the time I got to Beaumont Hospital everything was a state of emergency.

What I actually had was an aneurysm in my aorta (which ruptured before surgery), an aortic dissection, shredding of the lining of the aorta near the heart and the value between my heart and aorta had become dislodged and dropped into my heart. To quote my surgeon, I was dying and I was taken to surgery with no promises to my husband that I would live.

My body temperature was lowered to 30 degrees in order to stop all activity. While the actual surgery in my heart took 15 minutes, my heart and body were clinically dead for over an hour. The surgery and repair was performed, my heart restarted and another 2 to 4 hours were used to warm my body back to life.

Oxygenating my lungs became another problem. The number needed to adequately supply oxygen to my body was 500. The doctors couldn’t get the oxygen level above 80. They were considering sending me to University of Michigan Ann Arbor Hospital when the number started to rise.

I awoke in the intensive-intensive care unit, a surreal futuristic area made of all glass walls and doors with etched and sketched oval shapes that provided privacy and view. It was the most silent place I have ever experienced. A nurse never left my side. I had no idea what happened but I saw the beautiful faces of my children (who live in Boston and Dallas) and my husband.

As my vascular surgeon later told me, ‘I did the surgery but God saved your life’. I am overwhelmed at the implication. I have never experienced His presence as deeply as I have since the 14th. I don’t know where this will lead, what it means, but when I review the facts and realize I was in a state of death I am humbled beyond words.

And as if the miracle of life wasn’t enough, I appear to have no residual issues. To the amazement of the staff, doctors and my family I left Beaumont one week after the surgery (5 days after pulling out my ventilator and anything else I could rip off which apparently isn’t all that uncommon with patients. I was sent to Evergreen Rehabilitation and released after 10 days. I never needed a wheelchair (except for transportation) or a walker.

I did need to rebuild my strength. I was very, very weak. I’ve always had excellent balance and it appears I still do. And I feel my strength growing every day.

The doctors say this was a result of hypertension and / or high blood pressure though I never had high readings but I did experience a kind of hypertension this past year.

They also say it can be inherited or run in a family. Often the first instinct is to think ‘heart attack’ and when no evidence of a heart attack is found people have gone with the real problem untreated and died. From the reading I’ve done it appears some where between 40,000 and 50,000 people die a year from an aortic dissection that goes undiagnosed. John Ritter died after being misdiagnosed and treated for a heart attack. It has also caught my attention that a key recommendation for a person having a heart attack is to have an aspirin. I couldn’t find any aspirin. I was told at the hospital during my recovery that if I had taken an aspirin it may well have escalated the chances of my death by accelerating bleeding.

I have a dissection of my aorta that travels the entire length. I will need to keep a close eye on this (I have a cat scan scheduled in three months) and according to my surgeon I may need surgery again in the future but it will be planned, managed and not part of a death crisis.

It has become my mission to make sure my grandchildren experience the power of God, the power of prayer and that they realize this as a real life access they have impacts life, the big of it and the small of it!

That’s my mission from the point of view of my family but so much is yet unexplored. I don’t yet know my larger mission. I know that the hospital that I went to had a grand opening January 28, 2011 for their new aortic aneurysm and dissection of the aorta center with a staff of 7-9 vascular surgeons. I knew nothing of this condition and most of the people I know vaguley connect it with John Ritter. I’m happy to have found this site. It’s only been a month and I get overwhelmed with emotion when I realize how close I was to death. And of course, while this is not a religious site, I’m still in the arms of God’s presence.

I thank you all. May you be blessed for your goodness.

Much love,


Thanks for stopping by to view our stories. Please help me keep the site going by shopping at’s very much appreciated. Brian Tinsley founder of (please book mark the link once you get to for future purchases!)


The Daily Checkup: Keeping aneurysms from reaching the breaking point


Thank Goodness for Second Opinions and a positive outlook on life


  1. Carole Meicke

    Dear Cynthia:

    I hope all is well with you now. I enjoyed your story and faith that got you through.

    I had my dissection in April 0f 2010 at the age of 65, I did not have surgery however; I was told by my new surgeon that I will no doubt need it with in the next year or so.

    Thank you for sharing


  2. Cindi Hill

    Hi Cynthia,
    We are so glad you are doing better and regaining your strength. Hang in there, as it does take time. My mom and I felt like we were reading her story. Her dissection was March 17, 2005, and my aneursm was diagnosed two months later because of her. Yes, it can be genetic, so everyone needs to have their children tested and monitored for the rest of their lives. (You can read our stories on this website.) Only 1 percent live from a dissection, so we are all very blessed to be here to talk about it. God took care of us every step of the way and still is.
    Thank you for sharing your story and faith with us.
    Cindi Hill and Nancy Gaskill

  3. Sue Annelli

    Thank you, Cynthia, for sharing your story. I had a similar situation on January 17, 2011 in Portland, Maine. I have not had surgery and we are trying to keep the BP controlled through medication. I am going down to Mass. General on next Monday, March 14, just to verify that we are doing all that can be done at this time. From what I read, we seem to be on track with the treatment. I do feel discomfort quite often but not severe, and I am just trying to learn about living with this new body situation. Thank you again for sharing and stay well. Sincerely, Sue

  4. great story! your hospital seems to be on the forefront of treatment for AD; i’ve not heard of another with a special unit;

  5. George Arnold


    As with others, our stories are similar. Both ascending and descending dissections and the Lord saved us both! I have not yet written my “story” so Brian can post, but that is on my “to-do” list (or should I say my bucket list?).

    I too was fortunate in having access to great hospitals with specialists in aortic dissections. The initial emergency surgery that saved my life was performed by Dr. Carlos Garcia (University Hospital in Cleveland) and all followup care (4 stents, etc.) was done at the Cleveland Clinic. My surgeon at the Clinic, Dr. Roselli, kindly let Brian use several of his videos on the aortic website (left hand frame about half way down).

    Amazing that you were able to leave the hospital so quickly. My initial stay was 30 days.

    Finally, as with you, I have very few residual issues. Even after the dissection was complicated by a stroke, 2 blood clots, leg claudication, and near kidney failure, I have almost fully recovered.

    May God continue to shine upon you and your family.

    George Arnold

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén